Saturday, August 11, 2007

Oslo

This post is made possible by Alix's computer
Yesterday I saw a golden beggar wearing a Will Rogers mask, so that was pretty cool.

Other than that, during the last week-and-a-half I have reconnected with my home on the internet, spent an entire day at Frognerpark, started reading some books, finished one of them, caught up on sleep, and (most importantly) made some new friends.

I'll start by talking about the friends

This is Alix

She has let me stay in her home and use her computer and stuff, and I helped her pick berries for an afternoon. Alix went to Berkeley in the late '70s, and she has been working with computers from then until now, so she has lots of interesting stories to tell.


And this is Alf Martin

He works with Alix in the software company that is based at Alix's house. In this picture, he is using a vice to take apart a puzzle that I really messed up badly.

I have been hanging out with younger people, too.

These are some members of the couchsurfing community in Oslo

We had 2 big barbecues in Frognerpark, where I met some really interesting people, like Benni.

This is Benni - she works in a cemetery next to Frognerpark

She and I have shared some really interesting conversations about death and life and religion and people, and she let me surf her couch so that I'm not too much of a burden on Alix.

And this is Ludvik

I met him at Quaker meeting last week, and we have also shared some interesting conversations. Ludvik and I are considering a trip to his grandparents' farm in the west of Norway, and I am really hoping that it happens.

Tomorrow I am heading to a farm in the south, where I will be
closer to nature and farther from technology.


I think it will be very good to see something new.

No comments: